Thursday, June 9, 2011

Taco Soup

I was introduced to this recipe in my college cooking class. I have made some slight changes but overall the idea is the same. This is one of those meals that doesn't sound too appetizing until you smell the aromas it spreads through your home. Then after one bit you are hooked and pretty soon you are going for seconds. We don't use spoons to eat this. We use tortilla chips. Garnish with some sour cream and cheese and it's a pleasing meal.

Taco Soup


1 pound ground beef or turkey
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced


2 cans Mexican style stewed tomatoes (or regular. sometimes I can't find the Mexican style)
2 cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tsp corn starch
1 can corn, drained
cheese and sour cream for garnish

Saute onion in large pot for 5 min on med heat. Add meat and garlic. Cook until meat is browned. In separate bowl, mix all other ingredients together. I usually put tomatoes first so I can crush them into smaller pieces. Mix well so that corn starch is incorporated. Add mixture to pot of meat. Once it's boiling, simmer on low-med heat for 20 min. Serve with tortilla chips.

1 comment:

  1. Yum I will have to try this. It looks a lot less salty than my go to taco soup recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete