Sunday, February 13, 2011

Best Double Chocolate Chip cookie recipe

There is a method to my madness I promise.I had an idea for a valentines treat for my kiddos which required a chocolate cookies. **Post for that is below** I haven't made many double chocolate chip cookies before so I decided to seek out the perfect recipe. First I looked in my Williams-Sanoma desserts cookbook and then I looked through other recipes I had. I came up with two VERY different recipes I wanted to put against each other. One uses real chocolate and one uses cocoa powder. One uses baking powder and one uses baking soda. One uses butter and the other uses butter and shortening. After making the two I thought they both were tasty so I needed other opinions.

From the cookie poll post the cookie on the left was the cookie I came up with and the cookie on the right was the Williams-Sonoma recipe. I had a few people taste both and while they said both were amazing the winner for taste was the Williams-Sanoma! Even though my cookie looked more appetizing 6 of 8 preferred the cook book one so here we go! I think that I will post my recipe later in the week as well in case any of you want to try it.







Williams-Sanoma Double Chocolate Chip Cookie


1 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg, room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Put your chopped chocolate in the top of a double broiler. Whisk until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt until blended. In different bowl, beat together butter, shortening, brown sugar and sugar until fluffy. Beat in chocolate. Add egg and vanilla and mix until blended. Add dry ingredients and once that is mixed add chocolate chips.
Roll into balls and place on the baking sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake cookies until puffed but still look moist. About 12 min. Cool on rack. Store in airtight container.

1 comment:

  1. I thought I posted my review here, but I don't see it. I tried the two cookies on Sunday and I think it was the darker one I really liked. They did have a lot of similarities, but for some reason that stood out to me more.

    ReplyDelete