Friday, February 18, 2011

Mahi Mahi with Mango Salsa

Are you ever watching a cooking show and wish you could taste the food they are making? I love the show Worst Cooks in America that plays on Food Network. As I was watching this last episode I wanted to taste this dish so bad so I thought WHY CAN'T I? If that girl who someone thinks is the worst cook in America can make that then I have a fighting chance. I think that it turned out really tasty and it fit in my hubby's diet.  I changed a few things from the original recipe:)

Chopped Mango in a bowl
The recipe calls for grape seed oil which I learned it has one of the lowest levels of saturated fat among cooking oils. 
Cook your fish in a non stick pan!
I timed my rice and my fish to finish ALMOST at the same time. I was pretty proud of myself:)

Mahi Mahi with Mango Salsa over a bed of rice


For Rice:
I used brown rice. I put 2 1/4 cups water, 1 cup rice, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves and 1 tablespoon green onions chopped (reserve some more for a garnish) and a little salt in my rice cooker and started that cooking.


For Salsa: 
1 mango, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1/4 cup grape seed oil
Juice from 1 lime
1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
Salt and Pepper to taste


Mix all ingredients in bowl and let sit until ready to use


Mahi Mahi
2-4 Mahi Mahi fillets
1/4 cup grape seed oil
Salt and Pepper


Heat a large, nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat.

Rub the fish fillets with the oil, salt, and pepper. Place in the hot pan and sear until golden on 1 side, 3 to 4 minutes.

Turn the fish over and cook until cooked through, another 3 to 4 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the fish. You'll know the fish is done when the flesh springs back. Remove the fish to a plate.

When the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork and gently stir in the cilantro and scallions. Season with salt, to taste.

Place a mound of rice on each plate. Top with mahi-mahi. Spoon the mango sauce over each fillet and top with chopped scallions. Drizzle the liquid from the mango sauce around the rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment