Monday, June 27, 2011

Steak (How to cook and a great way to serve it!)

I have been practicing and testing this method for a few weeks now. I think I have finally mastered it. I used it n Father's Day to make one of the best steaks I have ever had. I want to share how to make it and a yummy dipping sauce for serving it. Now usually I would us an outdoor grill to make steaks but when we moved to another state last year, we couldn't fit out grill in the moving truck so we had to leave it. Sad I know but I am using what I have to make it work.

I would recommend a flank steak (takes less time to cook though) or a good top sirloin about 1 inch thick.


How to cook a steak:

1. take your steaks out of the fridge about 20 minutes before you plan to cook them. This will bring them to room temperature.

2. Heat your heavy frying pan on high heat. Pour about 1 Tablespoon of oil into your pan. You don't need too much. Once it starts to smoke a little it's ready for the steak. Now I seasoned my steak with salt and pepper before I put them in the pan and it worked just fine. I have heard that putting salt on it before you cook it can draw out moisture so it's your choice. Generously salt and pepper your steak either before you cook it or right after.

3. Using tongs place your steak in the pan. There will be some spatter so be prepared. Let it cook untouched for about 3 min. If you have a steak thinner than 1 inch it will be 1 1/2 to 2 min.  Once the time is up, use the tongs again to turn the steak over once. Cook again the same amount of time on the other side. If you like your steak well done you will want to cook it more. This method is for medium.

4. Once you are don't cooking the steak on both sides get a plate and a cooling rack ready to rest the meat. See picture above. Place the meat on the rack and put foil over it to keep the heat in. Cooling it on the rack helps not to ruin the nice sear you have achieved. Let them sit for at least 10 minutes.

Horseradish Sauce 


1/2 cup light mayonnaise dressing
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons horseradish

Mix all ingredients together and chill until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment