Thursday, September 8, 2011

Shepherds Pie

While my husband and I first started dating he offered to make me dinner one night. My roommates were lucky enough to sit in on this meal. He made shepherds pie. I had NEVER had it before in my life. I was a little skeptical  because I used to be the type of person that liked all my foods to stay on their respective sides of the plate. Well this particular time he made this dish he used instant potatoes. Poor guy, they were so runny. My roommates and I forced this mushy, runny food down our throats and complimented him. Now that we are married I tease him about the time he made me shepherds pie. I loved his effort but now over the years I love this dish and have perfected it. It's a great throw together meal but so comforting.


Shepherds Pie


Mashed Potato topping:
5 good sized russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/3 stick butter
2.5 oz. cream cheese
milk, just enough to soften the mash
salt and pepper to taste

boil chopped potatoes in pot of water until potatoes are soft. Drain. Add butter, cream cheese and a little milk (like 1/4 cup). Hand mash them with a tool or use a hand mixer to blend until smooth. If you need more milk add it. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Filling:
1 pound ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 can green beans, no salt added
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can corn, no salt added
Cheddar cheese as a topping

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Saute your onion in pan over med-high heat for 3-4 min. Add garlic. Cook one more minute and then add beef. Brown the beef. Once it's ready, drain the fat from the beef and pour in an 8X8 baking dish. Season the beef mixture with salt and pepper. Next,  drain REALLY WELL the beans, tomatoes and corn. I just throw them all in the strainer together to mix them up. Pour the veggies on top of the beef mixture. Season the veggies with salt and pepper. Scoop the mashed potatoes on top of the veggies. Top with large cut pieces of cheddar cheese and cover with foil. Bake for 15-20 minutes in the over or until heated through. The last 2-3 minutes I turn the oven on broil to really brown the cheese. That's how we like it:)

1 comment: